Moving In

Moving home is always a little stressful. At Opal Aged Care we aim to make this transition as easy and seamless as possible. Our friendly team are on hand to assist throughout the process. Below we take you through the key steps when moving into your Opal Aged Care home.

1. Meet with the General Manager

You will meet with the homes General Manager and she or he will give you a resident agreement to complete, once you have been offered and accepted a place at one of our residences.

2. The Resident Agreement

The resident agreement is a formal agreement between you and Opal Aged Care. The resident agreement is a legal document and outlines the terms of your residency, your rights and responsibilities and the rights and responsibilities of the aged care home as well as information on your costs.

It is important that your resident agreement is signed and understood before you move into your new aged care home and should be completed within 21 days of accepting a place in the home.

At Opal Aged Care we appreciate that you may not be familiar with aged care homes and we take time to explain and help you understand all the terms of the agreement being offered.

We want you to have complete peace of mind when you sign the document. If you are unsure about anything the General Manager will be able to answer any of your questions.

What if I change my mind once I have signed the resident agreement?

If you change your mind after signing the agreement you should advise us in writing so we can better assist you. You will also be given 28 days from the date of your entry to the home to decide the method of payment that best suits your individual financial situation.

Can I or the aged care home make changes to the resident agreement?

Changes can be made to the agreement, but they must have the consent of both yourself and the Aged Care Home.

If you are unable to sign the agreement someone who holds your power of attorney for you may complete the form on your behalf.

Power of attorney and Guardianship

A power of attorney is a legal document that appoints someone else to act on your behalf in matters of money and property. You can get further advice about preparing a power of attorney from a solicitor, a community legal centre, a State or Territory trustee company or your local Magistrate’s Court.

In the event that you are unable to make decisions about your personal affairs and you don’t have a power of attorney in place, a guardian may be appointed by a State or Territory Government to act on your behalf.

Charter of residents’ rights and responsibilities

All residential aged care homes must abide by the Australian Government’s legislation as set out in the Charter of Residents’ Rights and Responsibilities.

When you are given your resident agreement you will also be given a copy of our Resident and Relatives Handbook that will detail this information. You will also find it displayed prominently at all Opal Aged Care homes.

3. Moving in

Opal Aged Care will provide you with most of the furnishings you need however, you may like to bring some of your own things with you. Please discuss with the homes’ Manager what you would like to bring. Items that you may like to bring may include:

  • television and DVD player
  • CD/Radio/Record Player
  • bedside light
  • bedside table
  • photos and other memorabilia.

If you bring anything valuable please discuss your insurance requirements with your aged care provider.

Clothes and labels: Your clothes should all be labelled with your name in waterproof labels for laundry purposes.

Checklist of people to notify of your move: There are a number of people and organisations who may need to know that you have moved into residential aged care – here is a checklist to help you.

  • Family members
  • Friends and neighbours
  • Doctor and other health professionals
  • Community nurse
  • Your gardener or lawn mowing person
  • Your cleaner or home help
  • Meals on Wheels and other community support services
  • Centrelink
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Medicare
  • Your medical insurance company
  • Your superannuation company
  • The RTA for your driver’s licence
  • Your local post office
  • Your bank, building society or credit union
  • Your local office of the Australian Electoral Commission
  • Other aged care homes to which you might have applied